Twin Cities iCan Shine Bike Camp
SAVE THE DATE
2015 Bike camp – August 3-7
Camp Applications available January 2015
For information about the 2015 bike camp please email the camp coordinator, Mary Hauff at Mary@dsamn.org
or call the DSAM office at (651) 603-0720 if you wish to be added to the waiting list.
About iCan Shine
During 2012, iCan Shine (formerly, Lose The Training Wheels) partnered with local organizations and individuals, we refer to as our program ‘hosts’, to conduct over 90 iCan Bike programs in 32 States and 2 Provinces in Canada serving nearly 2,500 individuals with disabilities. The impact of learning to ride a bicycle, and our high level of success in helping individuals with disabilities accomplish this feat, continues to drive demand for our programs and fuel our growth.
Approximately 80% of the individuals who participate in our iCan Bike programs ride a two-wheel bicycle independently by the end of our five-day programs. The other 20% of these individuals make tremendous progress towards this goal and leave our programs accompanied by parents and/or siblings trained as ‘spotters’ to pick up where we leave off!
Registration for iCan Bike – Twin Cities Bike Camp is based on balancing each camp session with individuals of varying ages and abilities. There is a large array of specialized bikes that are available during camp sessions, and a balance of campers is scheduled for each session to match the various bikes. The camp maximum capacity is 40 campers who meet the participant requirements and apply for camp.
An essential prerequisite to attend camp is the individual’s desire to independently ride a two-wheel bike and motivation to participate daily. Please take pause and reflect on your prospective camper’s readiness to ride a two-wheel bike prior to completing and submitting the application. Our goal is to help as many campers as possible to successfully achieve independently riding a two-wheel bike during the weeklong camp.
Indicators of success to consider
- Is motivated and has the desire to learn to ride a two-wheel bike
- Maintain contact with bike pedals
- Maintain contact with handlebar
- Keep head up and look forward
- Has adequate strength to maintain riding speed
- Has adequate stamina to ride 75 minutes daily with short breaks for 5 consecutive days
- Follow basic instructions in a small group setting
- Has a personal bike suitable for learning
- Have the opportunity, immediately following the camp week, to practice bike riding
Participation Criteria (If all criteria are met, then the individual is eligible to participate)
- Minimum age of 8 years old
- Minimum inseam of 20” (to the floor)
- Maximum weight 220 lbs.
- Has a disability
- Able to walk without assistive device
- Able to sit upright independently
- Able to sidestep to both sides
- Able to wear a properly fitted bike helmet
- Able to attend all five camp days
There are five, 75 minutes sessions each day. You will be asked to select the session that works best for your family. The sessions are:
- 8:30 am – 9:45 am SESSION FULL
- 10:05 am – 11:20 am SESSION FULL
- 11:40 pm – 12:55 pm SESSION FULL
- 2:00 pm – 3:15 pm SESSION FULL
- 3:35 pm – 4:50 pm SESSION FULL
Download this registration information by clicking here.