iCan Shine Bike Camp

I can bike logo

2016 Bike Camp SAVE THE DATE!

Monday, August 1, 2016 – Friday, August 5, 2016

Walker Fieldhouse Hamline University

To stay in the loop, sign up for our mailing list!

2015 Bike Camp Recap

The success rate for campers who attend the Twin Cities bike camp has been 80%. The remaining 20% are well on their way to independently biking. Camp attendees have a range of disabilities including Down syndrome (60%), Autism (20%), cerebral palsy (5%) and other intellectual, developmental and physical disabilities.

iCan Bike Camp is a gateway to a lifelong fitness activity. Camp participants experience the sheer joy and sense of accomplishment that infuses them with confidence and self-esteem spilling over into may areas of their lives. One of the main reasons families attend camp is so their son or daughter is able to bike together with friends and family members.

The bike camp is a unique opportunity to bring together community members from high schools, universities and businesses to form the volunteer cadre. Two volunteer spotters collaboratively coach each camper. The volunteers gain insight into the camper’s strengths, determination and ability. The connections and bonds between the riders and volunteers are priceless. The boost in self-esteem and confidence is amazing. Bike camp helps reinforce and create a stronger sense of community for everyone involved….all done through a fitness for life activity….riding a bike…a rite of passage.

About iCan Shine

In 2015, iCan Shine an international charitable nonprofit organization collaborated with local organizations and individuals, program ‘hosts’, to conduct over 100 five-day iCan Bike programs. Bike camps were offered in 32 States and 4 Provinces in Canada serving nearly 3,000 people with disabilities annually.

Approximately 80% of the campers who participate in the iCan Bike program ride a two-wheel bicycle independently (at least 75 feet with no assistance) by the end of the five-day camp while attending for only 75 minutes each day! The remaining 20% make tremendous progress towards this goal and leave our camp accompanied by parents and/or siblings trained as ‘spotters’ to pick up where we leave off!

Thank you to our 2015 Camp Sponsors

PrintHamlineCargillMarks Group QBP-QBP LogoPaarLogo_EXTENDEDLeadership visionAAN_MrktgLogo-BrnzGrn  Medicalogo_tealPenn CycleGreat HarvestLandscape Structures     allianzREI_logo_on_lght_bkgd

 

Camp Application Information

Registration for iCan Bike – Twin Cities Bike Camp is based on balancing each camp session with individuals of varying ages and abilities. The bike fleet includes various size bikes that are available during camp sessions, and a balance of campers is scheduled for each session to assure the best fit for each camper. The camp maximum capacity is 40 campers who apply and meet the camp participant requirements.

Participant Requirements

An essential prerequisite to attend camp is the individual’s desire to independently ride a two-wheel bike and motivation to participate daily. Please take pause and reflect on your prospective camper’s readiness to ride a two-wheel bike prior to completing and submitting the application. Our goal is to help as many campers as possible to successfully achieve independently riding a two-wheel bike during the weeklong camp.

Indicators of camper success to consider

  • Is motivated and has the desire to learn to ride a two-wheel bike
  • Maintain contact with bike pedals
  • Maintain contact with handlebar
  • Keep head up and look forward
  • Has adequate strength to maintain riding speed
  • Has adequate stamina to ride 75 minutes daily with short breaks for 5 consecutive days
  • Follow basic instructions in a small group setting
  • Has a personal bike suitable for learning
  • Have the opportunity, immediately following the camp week, to practice bike riding

Participation Criteria (If all criteria are met, then the individual is eligible to participate)

  • Minimum age of 8 years old
  • Minimum inseam of 20” (to the floor)
  • Maximum weight 220 lbs.
  • Has a disability
  • Able to walk without assistive device
  • Able to sit upright independently
  • Able to sidestep to both sides
  • Able to wear a properly fitted bike helmet
  • Able to attend all five camp days

There are five, 75 minutes sessions each day. You will be asked to select the session that works best for your family. The sessions are:

  • 8:30 am – 9:45 am
  • 10:05 am – 11:20 am
  • 11:40 pm – 12:55 pm
  • 2:00 pm – 3:15 pm
  • 3:35 pm – 4:50 pm

Download this registration information by clicking 2015 Rider Registration Forms.

Scholarships

A limited number of partial scholarships are available. Please request consideration when applying for camp.

Volunteer

We need spotters to walk/jog/run alongside a rider as they are learning to ride a bike during a 75-minute session (with short breaks) for 5 days Monday through Friday. You will provide encouragement and physical support, as needed. No prior experience with individuals with a disability is necessary. All volunteer spotters must be at least 16 years old.

Please note that we ask you to commit to volunteering all five days during the camp for the session(s) you select. Riders bond with their assigned volunteers and rely on the same person to be there each day. Volunteers are required to have a background check done prior to the event.

Please submit the 2015 Volunteer Registration Form via mail, e-mail (mary@dsamn.org), facsimile (651-603-0726) or in person to:

Down Syndrome Association of Minnesota

656 Transfer Road

St. Paul, MN 55114

Attention: Mary Hauff – Twin Cities iCan Bike Camp Director

PLEASE NOTE: If you are a Mac user and you would like to fill out your form on screen and email it to us, please fill out the application in Adobe Reader. If you do not want to install the Adobe product, please print off your form and mail or fax it in.